Sunday 22 January 2012

The Post Christmas Blahs

I'm now wondering how people feel about their bodies prior to, during, and after Christmas. There are some people who carefully start counting calories and upping their workout routine in November in anticipation of losing a few pounds so they can pack it back on (and then some) over Christmas because everyone knows that Christmas is all about eating and eating some more until you can't possibly make room in your stomach for another bite of turkey/ham/stuffing/potato/vegetable BUT THEN you just slowly get up, wobble around the kitchen, somehow manage to wash up the dishes, and suddenly you find some room to cram a few cookies in there. And let's not forget stocking chocolate. Then New Years rolls around with the usual resolution of losing some weight and now beach season is just 6 months away (sooner if you don't live where I do) so it's time to hit the gym and get back into your pre Christmas jeans. Why do we do this to ourselves? How does it change our perception of body image and how we feel about our bodies?

I'll admit I'm not perfect either, so here's a break down of my holiday eating and such.

Pre Christmas: I was sticking to my usual routine of going to kickboxing once a week, maybe hitting the gym for a bit on Wednesdays if I had the time but I'm thinking this didn't happen too much as I had a lot of school work/ work/ and cat sitting to do. Also in cold weather I'm less motivated to sit at a bus stop for an hour or more every day. My eating habits were most likely quite horrible as my boyfriend was off work and visiting for the holidays and he tends to take me out for meals a lot.
Christmas: Ate way too much on Christmas eve then opened the gift from my mother-in-law to be, which happened to be an adorable little shirt and my dad promptly said "it makes you look pregnant." Such is life. Christmas, I was definitely the one that stuffed myself full to bursting, because it's Christmas and because I know that once it's over I have to go back to my home with no tasty Mum food and an almost empty bank account so no money for tasty food much less any food. Again, my dad said I looked pregnant. Thanks Dad.
Post Christmas: Boyfriend still in town, still taking me out for meals and spoiling me. Add that to stocking chocolate AND Christmas cookies that Mum sent along for me. Om nom nom. But I'll admit, I'm like a squirrel when it comes to good food and so much of that stocking chocolate is tucked away in a cupboard because I am rationing it. Same goes for the Christmas cookies AND the turkey and ham leftovers. They will most likely be rediscovered too late to be eaten and I'll have wasted food yet again. I'm famous for that.

So how am I feeling about my body? Well...first off I know that when I eat a big meal my stomach sticks out so I do indeed look a little pregnant. There is nothing I can do about that so I joke about it and move on. It's my dad that dwells on that sort of thing. My kickboxing class got cancelled so I don't even have something to go to to make me feel a little less guilty because I KNOW I gained at least 3 pounds last month. Big deal. I AM considering a new workout routine that will keep me in the gym when I'm not at school or work (conveniently also at school) but as far as how do I feel about my body? I don't love it any less. I don't love it any more. It is there. It is cold outside and a little extra pounds aren't keeping me any warmer, and they aren't really doing anything, really. I could care less about how I look right now, so body image really isn't an issue. Admittedly, I've got a lot of other things on my plate right now that are keeping me from eating properly or having any time to contemplate my body. That's just how it is.

So how is everyone feeling about their post holiday bodies? Don't forget that Valentine's day is in a couple of weeks. Who gets chocolate and fancy dinners out? Why do holidays and seasons have to affect what we do to our bodies and how we feel about them?

I am now contemplating how to work this into my art. Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment